IMMI SmartDock Information/Specifications:
- The SmartDock SCBA holder is a device that stages air packs in SCBA seats and is designed to retain the air pack in the event of a sudden deceleration.
- The NFPA 1901 committee wants to ensure that SCBA bottles stored in the rear apparatus cab do not become projectiles during a crash. For this reason, the standard states that “the bracket holding device and its mounting shall retain the SCBA unit when subjected to a 9-G force.”
- With traditional SCBA brackets, there are two things that must happen for the bottles to remain in place:
1. The firefighter must place the bottle in the bracket and latch it in place.
2. The bracket must be strong enough to hold the bottle.
- The first item is the responsibility of the firefighter, and the second is the responsibility of the bracket provider.
- The unique feature of the SmartDock hands-free SCBA holder is that it removes the need for the firefighter to perform any extra latching, buckling or strapping action when placing the bottle in the bracket.
- Once installed per these instructions, the SmartDock is designed to meet NFPA 1901 requirements without any extra action by the firefighter, other than properly placing the bottle into the bracket.
- The SmartDock uses inertia to keep the claws locked during deceleration. This inertial action ensures that the SmartDock system will hold an SCBA bottle during an impact caused by a crash.
- Short of bolting the SCBA bottle to the structure of the cab, there is no way to guarantee the bottle will always be retained if the crash is sufficiently severe. The SmartDock bracket has been tested to exceed NFPA 1901 requirements during a frontal crash.
- This capability provides the optimum combination of convenience and strength, keeping the bottle retained beyond NFPA requirements and eliminating the risk that a firefighter will forget to engage the strap or the latch. For these reasons, we believe SmartDock provides the safest solution to in-cab SCBA storage available today.